Since 1939, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Cincinnati has been changing lives and building great futures for kids who need a safe and positive place to spend the most vulnerable times of the day—immediately after school and at night, when supervision is often lacking and temptations are great. Our doors are open to the community’s youth, who are invited in to enrich their lives with Club membership, exceptional staff and volunteers, high-quality services and innovative programs, all at no cost.
Every day, all of our kids do the things in this “home away from home” that will ultimately make a difference in their lives. They do their homework, and when they need help, we help them learn, grow and move forward with determination toward high school graduation and a plan for the future. They sit down together for a hot, nutritious meal, and learn about what to eat, how to cook and what to do to keep themselves healthy and fit for life. They serve each other in the Clubs and others in the community as they nurture the value of giving back.
We are rightfully proud of our tradition and constantly work to build better, stronger homes in the Clubs so our kids can grow even brighter futures for themselves and for all of us. Because of our mission, history and vision for the future, BGCGC has become one of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky’s strongest and most beloved youth service organizations. This is what we do, and this is who we are. Great futures start here.
To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential
as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
The Cincinnati Rotary Club met to discuss the alarming rise in juvenile delinquency and agreed on the need to establish the Ninth Street Boys Club in the city’s basin area.
As urban renewal shifted the city’s population, other Clubs were opened throughout the city: Wade Street Club (1941-61), James J. Espy Club (1946), Olden Club (1948), Fleischmann Club (1960) and Millvale Club (1962).
We opened our summer camp, thanks in large part to the property donated by Harry Olden, a longtime friend of the Clubs, and a substantial grant from the Crosley Foundation. (The camp closed in 1980.)
We merged with the Boys Clubs of Northern Kentucky, paving the way for youth services in Covington and Newport. The Kenton County Club and LeBlond Club were built in 1970, and the Clem & Ann Buenger Club opened in 1996.
We began accepting girls into the program, prompting our name change to Boys & Girls Clubs. (The national Boys Clubs of America officially changed to Boys & Girls Clubs in 1990.)
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Cincinnati celebrates its 75th anniversary!
The Larry and Rhonda Sheakley Boys & Girls Club opens in Price Hill.
We merged with Boys & Girls Clubs of Clermont County, adding two new Clubs; West Clermont Middle School in Batavia and the Robert Williams Club in the Village of New Richmond.